No need to travel to Norway - Come join the fun as we dance to the traditional dance music of Røros (Norway) performed by the dance band Småviltlaget in the Sangerhuset in Røros as part of the annual Rørosmartnan festival.
Saturday, February 25th - 7:30-10:30 PM
6th Annual Rørosmartnan Dance Party
Preceded by a Rørospols dance lesson at 5:30 PM and a Potluck at 6:30 PM
Hosted at the home of Linda Brooks & Ross Schipper
3600 T Street NW, Washington, DC
For more information
call (202) 333-2826 or
email Linda or Ross (Linda@ScandiaDC.org, Ross@ScandiaDC.org).
History of the Scandia DC Rørosmartnan Dance Party -
- On February 25, 2012, Bruce Carlson of Chicago, IL arranged for a live streaming webcast of the Nattdans (Night Dance) in the Sangerhuset (Røros) as the band Dalakopa played from 1:00-4:00 AM (7:00-10:00 PM EST). Scandia DC and MAND co-sponsored the event in Washington where we projected the band's performance live on the wall of Ross and Linda's dance room. We felt like we were there in Norway as we danced to the fabulous music. In addition to seeing the musicians and dancers live, the Norwegians in Røros could also see us in Chicago, Washington, Vancouver and New Jersey. We waved to the dancers in Norway and they waved back. This was a magical experience.
- The live streaming webcast was repeated the following year on February, 22, 2013. Again Washington participated as the dance band Dalakopa played from 1:00-4:00 AM Norway time.
- In 2014, Dalakopa celebrated their 30th year as a dance band and decided not to play for the Nattdans that year. However there was an afternoon dance in Sangerhuset where the dance band Småviltlaget played. Bruce Carlson arranged for the afternoon dance to be recorded and available as a streaming webcast from Norway. Again Washington participated and we had our 3rd Annual Rørosmartnan Dance Party on February 22, 2014.
- The 2014 turnout in Washington was great, but not so in Chicago. As a result, Bruce Carlson chose not to sponsor the event in 2015. We thought all was lost until we learned that Bruce had a digital video recording of the 2014 streaming webcast. He provided us with two DVDs containing the two sessions of Småviltlatet's performance. We used these DVDs to project the performance on the wall of Ross and Linda's dance room and held the 4th Rørosmartnan Dance Party on March 7, 2015. Everyone who participated agreed that it felt almost like a live broadcast. They even clapped to the music as if the band could hear. Maybe they could. 😏 In 2015 we repeated the 2014 experience.
- So here we are in 2016, holding the 6th Annual Rørosmartnan Dance Party. We will again project Småviltlaget's 2014 performance. The magic continues.